Birthday Series: Seoul Searching


Temple, shopping, coffee and FOOD! This is what reminds me of Seoul. The vibrant atmosphere of Myeong Dong to the artsy hipster feel of Hongdae. No matter where you end up, you can see the fusion of the traditional and the modern. The streets are full of life no matter what day it is.



Summer was peering its sunny rays of sunshine when I travelled to Seoul. I took a midmorning bus from Busan and having always loved the contemplative feel of long land travel, it gives me the space to think, meditate and breath in the beauty of the country.



We had a short stop and I got myself some java boost while enjoying the beauty of the Sokor highway. The cool breeze contrasting with the heat gives you a spring feel that I love, perfect travel weather. I arrived in Seoul right on time but with a few hiccups with figuring out how to reach my hotel. It was still an adventure nonetheless. The perks of solo travelling! :)



Everywhere you can see evidence of how Koreans  appreciate and insert art in everything. The beauty is how they fused together the tradition and the modern from their temples to their quaint tea houses and quirky shops. It’s amazing that they hold on to the past but still ride with the sign of the times.





Korean food is one of the best in the world and having tasted authentic korean cuisine from the street to highly recommended restos. I can now see and literally taste the difference. 





I have never been a big fan of shopping but as they say, if in Rome, do as the Romans do. And if in Korea, do as the locals and tourist do — which is to SHOP! I never enjoyed shopping so I can be quite a bore but in Seoul, I shopped from socks to make up, face masks and kpop stuff (ugh!). Believe you me, I surprised myself with my loot too.






But of course, my travels will never be complete without checking new cafes and testing my palette with its bitter delicacy. Seoul was no exception, I made sure to have at least one new cafe discovery a day. Some were perfect places for quieting the mind, some were very instagram-worthy but all serve damn good coffee.


All in all, my solo Seoul searching trip was one or the books. A few unplanned disappointments but it is what makes for a great adventure and a memorable trip. I still have a few places I missed and will definitely plan to go back very very soon!









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bits and Pieces

A seemingly usual Tuesday

The Year!