I had an insistant craving to go dumpling hopping in Binondo for the past months or so... I came upon an article that made it very tempting saying that the dimsums and dumplings there are as authentic as authentic dumplings can be. Not to mention that I wanted to test if they can top the best siomai I have ever tasted.

FLASH BACK: Four years ago, the Parental unit, my bro, my paternal lola and I were vacationing in HK. One morning,we went to a hidden park located in a hilly area and you needed to hike like a hundred steps to reach it. My mom was breathless upon reaching it but she still had the energy to "join" the elderly practicing Tai chi, all relaxed and composed. When we returned to the hotel, we came upon a sidewalk hole in the wall place who sold dimsum in the street, just outside the still closed resto. My mum, the ever adventurous gourmand bought some and THOSE WERE THE BEST SIOMAI I HAVE EVER TASTED! I cant even describe how the huge shrimp and mixed meat wrapped in paper thin doughness rolled in fish eggs taste... its just NAMIT! hehehe

Anyways back to the present, I went home early at about 2am and had "the" craving. I woke up my adventure buddy, Maryana and talked her into trekking to Binondo via the Pasig Ferry. We walked mid dawn on our way to Guadalupe to ride the boat. We had no idea what to expect, if it was a measly " banka" or yacht-like cruise.. Apparently, its in between those two. We had a couple of laughs taking pictures and I'm shocked with sight and smell of the river. I literally was able to see dead fishes floating in the water with all the waste and murk. We even happened to pass by Malacanang, and we didnt know it was a NO NO to take pictures of its exterior..and we were reprimanded for it hehehe...

When we finally docked in Escolta, we had to ask around and wander to our point of destination: Dong Bei and Wai Ying Resto. Our plan was to do a lil taste test if the said dumplings are really worth the reviews and the raves. First off was Dong Bei, we did our little walkathon only to find out it was still close. So we figured have a caffeine fix first in Starbuck, since Maryana has been craving for one since we left the house.

When we had our cuppa joe, we returned to Dong Bei but it was still closed so we decided to just have the first taste test in Wai Ying. At first we were weary because the place looked so plain and a bit unkempt. It was located in the midst of OngPin surrounded by all the Tsinos, smell and all. We passed by the Take out corner and we had to ask (again!) where the resto for eating in would be found. Upon resting our butts and poor feet, I ordered whats recommended which was the Hakau, Kutchai siomai and Dimsum in Curry sauce. To top it all was an ice cold Milk Tea. It was a pretty satisfying eat! The Hakau had big ass shrimps inside... The Kutchai was fresh...The dimsum dipped in curry sauce was delish, albeit served very late...After a 5 or so siomais, we were full!!! We even had a take out of peking duck and white chicken rice and I spent less than 500php.. Good Deal!

But our mission was not finished though....which was to try the Dong Bei's fresh dumplings too.

When we walked back to the place they were already open BUT it was FULL as in brimming full of people. It was the tour group for Manila walk. They were shown recommended places to eat and where to go. I beleieve they have to pay an extra 1000php if they wanna join the food tour. So since all corners are literally filled with people. We had to satisfy ourselves in watching the Kutchai dumplings being prepared by the staff. You can see them doing so by the window.

So, we decided that today was not the Dong Bei day and that it should rescheduled another time =).. Maybe when my baby Bro comes back from Saudi. He'd love the foodies and I can open his eyes to the scary colorful people in that part of town.


We commuted to nearby Quiapo which is my "tourist spot" place in Manila for the sole reason that its like a surrealistic world when you're there, like a tragic picture come alive. We walked around the burning heat,bought some spanking new dvds of course and headed to our Home Sweet Home =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bits and Pieces

A seemingly usual Tuesday

The Year!