Solo Travels: Siargao Surfin

Third and sadly, my last day in Siargao. Of course, I wont pass up the experience of surfing in one of the best surf spots in the world. So off I woke bright and early, headed to Cloud 9 surf spot with my not so trusty action cam and prepared myself to own those waves.



Greeting the sunrise with the early birds gave a certain sense of excitement like a kid on Christmas morn. I carried my rented surfboard and waded through the shallow water in Cloud 9, waited for the right wave and off I went flying in the water - both literally and metaphorically. There are times that I glided - feeling like a pro haha but most times wrestling the waves like a clumsy gymnast with two left feet.



Two hours passed by too fast and since I still had a flight to catch, I went back to land and returned my board. Since I was unable to catch it on my first attempt, I dropped by a chill cafe just a few steps from Cloud 9 called Cafe Loka. They offer 3rd wave coffee so I definitely had to get myself a cuppa java and a breakfast fit for a champion. I spent a few minutes basking the fresh air, beautiful scenery and all kinds of surfers having a blast in the water. 




Siargao was such an awesome experience. It was laidback and cool just like the surfers that are drawn to the magnetic beauty of the place. It was exotic and mysterious like the secret spots waiting to be discovered all over. It was familiar yet foreign similar to the people that have eventually called it home, some were born but most have chosen to stay and live in the beauty that is this island.



I wish they will keep it as it is, hopefully it will not be swallowed by the corporate mean men that has destroyed the likes of Boracay, Baguio and the beaches of Thailand. I truly believe that this is one of the hidden gems that our country should maintain, a melting pot of diverse culture creating a uniqueness that can only be experienced in this utopia called SIARGAO!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bits and Pieces

A seemingly usual Tuesday

The Year!