Solo Travels: Stoked in Siargao



Travelling has become an essential de-stressor of the Millenial age, everyone jetsets to far off lands and cities whenever their time and money allows. Most likely than not we check seat sales and travel promos on the net more than we reach out and talk to our loved ones. Not me though, I always talk to the parentals whenever I can *wink wink* hahaha

One of the most sought after travel destinations in the Philippines is the mystical island called Siargao. It's a destination must for all surfer enthusiast and wannabes out there. It boasts of amazing waves, picturesque islands, great food, awesome drinks and pretty much a perfect place to chill, regroup and experience the island life...

I was booked for a 3 days/2 nights stay in the island, and let me tell you if you do plan to travel to Siargao, 3 days is NOT enough. I left the good ol Metro at around 10 in the evening with a layover in Cebu. I planned to drop by and check some of their good cafes there since my Siargao flight was not until 6am the next day. But I skipped it, I opted to get some much needed shut eye to be ready for a whole day of exploration on my own. It has been a while since I was travelling to an unfamiliar place on my own. This was going to be an adventure no doubt!



Upon my arrival to Siargao the next day, I took a 30 minute ride to my accomodation. I stayed at this very chill and relaxing resort called Harana. They greeted me with a smile and welcome drink of Iced Horchata. The place itself was aesthetically orgasmic from the native hanging lights surrounding their lounge area slash resto to the cool bunk beds straight out of a pinterest-ish island lifestyle look book.




After a quick rest and getting acquianted with the surrounding area of my resort and my cabana companions, it was time to explore the island by motorcycle. The agenda for the day was to catch the rock pool in Magpupungko Rock Formation. This was quite tricky since it only shows during low tide and after asking the locals, I had like an hour or two until it goes back up and the beauty of the place will be blanketed by the ocean again.


So off I went with a quick stopover in a rather large lake that is apparently full of fresh water crocodiles. It looked like a regular lake, the local guide said that you cant see it in the morning but at night they are quite visible because their eyes gets illuminated and looks like christmas lights in the water.  So word to the wise, dont go skinny dipping in this place or else... 

Magpupungko Rock Formation was a beaut, I was glad that when I arrived there were few people and it was not congested yet. Raring to go, I jumped and swam in this blue-green water. There was a rock formation in the middle and you can cliff jump but the rocks were sharp so after a few attempts I gave up and just enjoyed swimming the cool waters. 


Apart from the rock pool, the place itself was picturesque. The waves splashing in the shore, the larger rock formations that are perfect for your instagram stories, the green moss growing in the ground like pillowy grass and the beautiful landscapes that makes me understand why a lot of people have a deep love for this island.


When I had my fill, I explored more of Siargao by land. I saw their town proper, ate Pan de Surf, checked the more lesser known parts and beaches, saw the waterfalls, met some locals with their friendly faces and even got flagged by the local Land Transportation Officer to check the documents and papers for the motorcycle.

Last stop was Cloud 9 which is the most popular surf spot in Siargao but I didnt go there to surf yet. The waves were already slowing down and ends dangerously near the rocks. My plan was to try the nearby cafe but unfortunately it was already closed. That is one thing I noticed here, cafes in the island closes early and not later than 5pm. So off I went to my cozy lil bunk and after a much needed rest, got some Harana style dinner and a night cap (or two) ready for the next day's island hopping trip. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bits and Pieces

A seemingly usual Tuesday

The Year!